Thursday, October 16, 2008

My name is Chantalle and I'm an addict . . .

. . . to coupons! I have been sharing some of my deals with Juli and Robyn - I even sent the Walgreens deal last week to Teresa. I know Juli took advantage of it because she called me to say she was walking out of Walgreens and had just saved $48 and that was without the $10 Shower Cleaner coupon (they were out but she got a raincheck) and before the rebates. I took Joe with me last night to Meijer to stock up on Jell-O (free with 22 cents overage), canned vegies (33 cents so I used up the 22 cents overage on those which made them 11 cents), and Frosted Mini Wheats (on sale for $2.50, had a $1 off coupon for each one and got a $3 coupon back when you buy 3). I spent about $22 out of pocket (oop) for over $80 in groceries and walked away with 1-$10 coupon off my next shopping trip (because an advertised Catalina for $2 didn't print) and a $3 coupon off my next shopping trip. So this is what I got:

24 boxes Jell-O ($.64 regular price)
6 boxes Frosted Mini-Wheats ($3.69 regular price)
24 cans vegies ($.75 regular price)
2 - Taco Bell dinner kits ($2.79 regular price)
2 - Glade Oil Warmers ($4.69 regular price)
1 - SoBe Water ($1.29 regular price)
-------
1 - loaf of bread
1 - bag of chips
1 - container of hummus
1 - breadsticks for dipping in the hummus
bananas

Everything above the line had a coupon. The items below were on sale and/or things we needed (well not the chips, hummus and breadsticks but Joe wanted them). I was trying to stick to the "deals" so he could see why I get so excited about it. I had to do several transactions because of limits - I like the self-checker now - it was almost like Vegas - put your coins in, watch the coupons print out. The Glade oil warmers were a money maker - when you bought one a $4 coupon off your next order printed out - I had a B1G1 coupon so I spent $4.69 and got $8 back which I turned around to use on my next transaction. I even took him to Walgreens with me to get the Robitussin/Dimetapp money maker deal this week (buy 3 for $3.99 - - use a $2 coupon for each so spend $6 and get a $10 coupon back) I've done this twice by rotating it with another register reward deal so I have spent very little oop (under $12) for

2 - Dimetapp
4 - Robitussin
6 - boxes of monthly supplies
4 - boxes of Kashi (they are on sale 2/$5 and there is a $2 off coupon on their website when you register (I registered twice - once for me and once for Joe) - I love Kashi and I love it even more when it's only 50 cents a box!)

I have been possessed! But our ward has a goal for the year that everyone will have their 72-hour kits (ours are almost complete) and a 3-month supply of food (I know we're okay on the cereal end (30+ boxes right now all under $1/box) and Nicholas could live on cereal) and we have enough cough and cold medicine for the season. I will probably do the Dimetapp/Robitussin deal one more time to get some free t.p. (why not? I could either spend $10 oop for the t.p. or I can spend $3 +tax (I have a $3 RR right now) and get Dimetapp and Robitussin and t.p. I am really indebted to the lady who taught the couponing class. I thought I was a pretty savvy shopper but now I feel really ripped off if I don't have a coupon to make it REALLY cheap.

3 comments:

buttercup said...

I am so impressed. I wish I had your gumption whenever I try I just get overwhelmed and stop! Maybe I should try harder.

ilikehearts said...

The hardest part for me is controlling my desire for the next deal and watching how much time I spend surfing for new sites. There are so many blogs out there that do the figuring for you that it's really not that hard to find the deals. Just subscribe and they show up in your inbox and then you just have to get to the store. Organizing is key too and having enough coupons to make it worth your while. The "professionals" get like 6-8 Sunday papers. That way, when there is a money maker, like the Glade, they really rake in the bucks for the other items on their grocery list that don't have coupons (produce, dairy, etc - although you can find coupons on those too. Super Target has $1 coupons on baby carrots this week and they are on sale for $1.09 - that means they are only 9 cents a bag and you can print as many as you like - that's how I got over 10 lbs of grapes for free!) They staple the pages of the inserts together and make one big insert - that way when say Purina is on sale and there is a $2 coupon - they go to the insert it's in and voila they cut out 6 coupons in one fell swoop and go and stock up. Right now I am working with 2 papers but trying to get more inserts without spending more $$

I like these sites:


commonsensewithmoney.com
moneysavingmom.com
coupontom.com (searches for coupons - say you are buying tomato paste - you would enter that in and it would tell you all the tomato paste coupons available right now and where to find them.)

ilikehearts said...

I forgot - I got 6 boxes of Mac & Cheese too - that is what the $2 Catalina was supposed to print for.